By Nikki Bayley
Breathtaking scenery to admire and unique local ingredients: what’s not to love about Canadian spas? Here are 10 to explore.
- Soak up history and treatments at Bota Bota, a spa-boat moored in Montréal’s Old Port. Unwind in the outdoor whirlpool while admiring the scenery or indulge in a massage below deck, rocked by the gentle movements of the Saint Lawrence River.
- Experience a Middle Eastern hammam in the exotic and ultra-luxe Miraj Spa at the Shangri-La, Toronto’s most fashionable hotel. After your treatment, curl up on silk cushions, admire your satiny skin and sip fragrant mint tea.
- Indulge in the Canadian Coastal Mountain Body Wrap in Vancouver’s Willow Stream Spa at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. The maple-sugar scrub naturally exfoliates and the maple-butter body balm naturally nourishes your skin. Sweet.
- There are no plush furnishings at Takhini Hot Springs, just a naturally hot mineral pool in the serene Yukon wilderness. Float in the thermal pool and see if you can catch sight of the Northern Lights overhead.
- Take a romantic journey in a private train between the mountains and the seashore of Le Massif de Charlevoix to Spa du Verger at La Ferme. Try the iced apple cider elixir head-to-toe treatment created with Quebec’s finest fruit.
- Brand-new in fall 2013: Dive an age-old Scandinavian tradition at Winnipeg’s Le Nordik Spa, set in a tranquil forest. Once you’ve soaked up the benefits of these Manitoban thermal baths, enjoy an ultra-modern vivifying treatment at its Thermëa spa.
- East meets west at the Sunmore Ginseng Spa in Kamloops, BC. Locally grown ginseng is used in treatments to nourish, detoxify and restore balance to your skin. Relax afterwards with a soothing cup of ginseng tea.
- Give your hands and feet the Canadian treatment at Moose Jaw’s Temple Gardens spa. Try a mani-pedi with Saskatchewan-mined sea salt and Canadian seaweed to rehydrate city-stressed skin.
- Discover a pathway to engagement at Canmore’s One Wellness + Spa, a bespoke 90- or 120-minute Albertan experience that aims to restore mind-body balance.
- Experience the signature rhythm of the Maritimes at the Ocean Spa in Nova Scotia. Sink into blissful relaxation with a choreographed massage set to a symphony of crashing waves and seabird calls.
Photo by Nikki Bayley, story courtesy of the Canadian Tourism Commission.