The Toronto International Film Festival is back, the films are rolling, and the stars are glamming it up around town and on the red carpet. To celebrate, The GATE has some cocktail inspiration for you courtesy of The Macallan, Courvoisier, Grey Goose, Cîroc, and Baileys. Whether you’re celebrating TIFF, or just hosting a party, these cocktails will help add a little star power.
“We created the Grey Goose L’Orange 1976 as our homage to the film festival,” Grey Goose global ambassador Joe McCanta said. “The orange being a nod to the signature TIFF colour and 1976 is of course the year TIFF began. This one is so beautifully refreshing, with fresh apricot juice. We also use edible gold as garnish – it doesn’t get more glam than that!”
- 1 part Grey Goose L’Orange
- 1/4 part Grade A Canadian Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 parts Fresh Yellow (or White) Grapefruit Juice
- 2 parts French Apricot Juice
Build in a highball glass with crushed ice. Garnish with a fresh (if in season) or dried apricot sprinkled with edible gold dust.
The classic espresso martini is given an intriguing twist with this mix of Grey Goose vodka, fresh single origin espresso, coffee liqueur, and finished with a touch of spicy cardamom and a smooth vanilla bean rim.
- 1 1/2 parts Grey Goose Vodka
- 1 part Single Origin Espresso
- 3/4 parts Premium Coffee Liqueur
Shake hard and long, then double strain. Garnish with vanilla bean rim and three cardamom pods in the shape of a star.
- 1 3/4 oz The Macallan Amber
- 1/4 oz *5 Spices Syrup or Simple syrup
- 4 drops of Bob’s Chocolate bitters (Available at BYOB: Cocktail Emporium)
- Orange twist
Assemble all of the ingredients, except the twist, in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir. Strain over a big cube of ice in an Old Fashioned glass. Express orange twist over the cocktail and drop into the glass.
- 1.75 oz The Macallan Gold
- 1.25 oz Sweet Vermouth (Dolin)
- 1 barspoon Maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)
- 4 dashes of Cherry Bark Vanilla bitters (Available at BYOB: Cocktail Emporium)
- Orange twist
Assemble all of the ingredients, except the twist, in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir. Strain and serve up (no ice) in a Nick&Nora glass or cocktail coupe. Express orange twist over the cocktail and discard it.
- 1/3 oz Courvoisier VSOP
- Ginger ale
- Half an orange slice
Fill a highball glass with ice, pour the cognac, top-up with ginger ale, stir gently, garnish with orange slice
- Small brown sugar cube
- Two dashes of Angostura bitters
- 3/4 oz Courvoisier VSOP
Put a brown sugar cube in a chilled coupette glass, cover the sugar cube with two dashes of Angostura bitters, add the cognac, top-up with chilled champagne.
The ultimate red carpet tipple, this sophisticated blend of Grey Goose vodka, rich cherry liqueur, MARTINI ROSSO and aromatic bitters, is stirred and served straight up with an orange twist.
- 1 1/2 parts Grey Goose Vodka
- 1/2 part Cherry Brandy
- 3/4 part Martini Rosso
- 1 dash of Angostura Bitters
Stirred and strained, garnished with orange zest & fresh (or brandied) cherry.
Bringing together the world’s leading super premium vodka with a hint of precious cognac, Grey Goose VX is best enjoyed on the rocks.
- 1 1/2 parts of Grey Goose VX
- 1 slice of fresh peach
- 1 spritz of 2:1 honey water (mix 2 parts premium organic orange blossom honey to 1 part warm water until diluted)
Serve in a rocks glass over great quality ice. Spritz with honey water and garnish with a slice of fresh peach.
- 2 oz Baileys Irish Cream Liquor with a Hint of Hazelnut Flavour
- 0.5 oz Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka
- 1 sprinkle cocoa powder
Combine with ice in shaker. Shake and pour into a martini glass. Add a light sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- 1 oz Captain Morgan® Original Spiced Rum
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1/4 oz fresh lime juice
- 4 oz cola
- 1 wedge lime
In an ice filled Collins or rocks glass combine all the ingredients. Stir to blend. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Cîroc Summertime Lemonade
- 1 1/2 oz. Cîroc Vodka
- 3/4 oz. lemon juice
- 3/4 oz. agave nectar
- 4 pieces of watermelon
- 5 pieces of parsley
- 3 oz. sparkling pink lemonade
In a mixing tin muddle watermelon and parsley. Add the remaining ingredients and shake with ice. Double strain in to a Collins glass and top with sparkling pink lemonade. Garnish with a slice of watermelon and half sugar rim.
*5 Spices Syrup: In a pot, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar with 1 cup of water. Heat over medium heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved (do NOT bring to a boil). Turn off heat and add 1 tablespoon each of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, as well as the beans of 1 vanilla pod. Cover pot and let infuse for 30 minutes. Strain and bottle.
The Macallan cocktail recipes courtesy of Edrington Brand Ambassador, Nicolas Villalon, with cocktail photos by Rick Vyrostko Photography.