Whisky cocktails have become classic staples of drink culture in the last few decades, and the Penicillin may be one of the best. They’re sweet and tangy, snappy, and just a little bit spicy. And they’re only as good as the whisky you use, so that’s why I love them with Johnnie Walker Black Label.
This year is also a big moment for Johnnie Walker. The iconic distillery celebrates 200 years in 2020, starting out in the Scottish burgh of Kilmarnock in East Ayrshire in 1820, and becoming one of the biggest names in whisky in the world.
To celebrate the anniversary, try the recipe below, and then check out The Man Who Walked Around The World on Amazon Prime Video. The documentary takes a look at how the Scotch whisky has travelled around the world, how John Walker started making whisky, and where it took him over his lifetime and beyond. It’s a fascinating look at one of the world’s favourite drinks, and one of the founders that made Scotch so popular.
- 45 ml Johnnie Walker Black Label
- 15 ml ginger liqueur
- 22ml 1:1 honey syrup
- 22 ml lemon juice
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all the ingredients.
- Shake hard for 5-7 seconds to mix the ingredients.
- Strain and serve the mixture in a tumbler with fresh ice. You can use several cubes, or a single large one – or even an ice ball.
- Garnish with candied ginger.