Food expert and YouTuber Vijaya Selvaraju is lending her voice, and her cooking skills, to Quaker’s Warm Welcome program that supports newcomers to Canada with winter coats. Selvaraju came to Canada when she was little, so her family knows what it’s like, and she wanted to partner with Quaker to help spread the word about the great initiative.
An estimated 200,000 newcomers are expected in Canada this year, and they’re not always prepared for the cold winter months, so this year Quaker will donate money from the purchase of specially marked boxes of Quaker products to buy coats for new Canadians.
To inspire Canadians, Selvaraju sat down with me to talk about her family’s first winters in Canada, and also gave us a special oatmeal upma recipe to get you cooking with Quaker instant oatmeal. Watch the video below and scroll down to read about the Oatmeal Upma recipe.
Vijaya Selvaraju’s Oatmeal Upma recipe:
3, 28g Sachets Quaker® Regular Instant Oatmeal (approx. 1 cup)
1 tsp, Ghee
1 small Onion, finely chopped
2 Thai Chilis, split lengthwise
1/4 cup, finely cubed Carrots
1/4 cup, Frozen Peas
1/4 cup, Fried/Roasted Cashews
1.5 cups, Water
Salt to Taste
Chopped fresh Coriander to garnish
- In a small frying pan on medium-high heat, toast Quaker Regular Instant Oatmeal for 2-3 minutes until slightly golden with a nutty aroma. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add Ghee. Add Onion, Ginger and Chilis and sauté until softened. Then add Carrots and Peas, and sauté for 2 minutes to make vegetables tender.
- Add Roasted Cashews, Water, and Salt to Taste. Increase heat to high, and bring mixture to a rolling boil.
- Once boiling, drop heat to medium, and stir in toasted Oatmeal. Continue stirring mixture for 6-7 minutes, until almost all the water has been absorbed and the mixture takes on the texture of a thick porridge.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh chopped Coriander. Serve immediately. Enjoy! :)
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get weekly updates on our latest contests, interviews, and reviews.